Since there’s so much debate around “self-diagnosing” on here…
…I’m making this one post about it and that’s it. Firstly I’d like to say that recognizing you have symptoms of mental health issues that concern you is healthy and a good thing, as many people including myself don’t realize they have a problem and try get help until they land themselves in hospital.
Admitting to yourself that you have issues with low mood, disordered eating, self-esteem, excessive fears etc and need help for such is the first step towards recovering.
However, there’s a difference between that and a person claiming they have, for example- Bipolar Disorder, Anorexia and General Anxiety Disorder- because they experience the symptoms listed above, without having seen a medical professional for these issues. Applying these labels to yourself based on research you’ve done on the internet is unhealthy, inaccurate and can quickly become an obsession and take over your thoughts, and is in no way productive to your effort to improve from these symptoms.
It’s the same thing as if someone say found a new lump on their body. This person should most definitely say to themselves “I have this lump, I need to receive medical attention for this,” but going on Google and finding out that lumps can be malignant and therefore diagnosing themselves with cancer is obviously not healthy, most likely incorrect and doesn’t help get rid of the lump. Going to a doctor, having diagnostic tests performed and receiving a professional diagnosis and treatment is what will solve the issue, and the exact same thing applies to mental health problems.
Also, any online quizzes and tests are as reliable at diagnosing mental illness as they would be at diagnosing the person’s lump as cancer. In other words, completely irrelevant.
39 Notes/ Hide
- mieyth-wolftear reblogged this from janus-ra-and-eris
- janus-ra-and-eris reblogged this from mh-things
- imalwaysnostalgic likes this
- imalwaysnostalgic answered:THANK. YOU.
- altairattorney likes this
- theknight0fspace reblogged this from bioshockedd and added:
- iheldtegenstemmer reblogged this from bioshockedd
- iheldtegenstemmer likes this
- bioshockedd reblogged this from mh-things
- bioshockedd likes this
- nyx-010 likes this
- seasidesystem reblogged this from collective-dreamscapes and added:
- seasidesystem likes this
- reclusify likes this
- collective-dreamscapes reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- well-well-well-mr-pibb reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- sprite-wings reblogged this from manupandsayit
- sprite-wings likes this
- manupandsayit reblogged this from mh-things
- manupandsayit likes this
- morbidmandy422 likes this
- fakegingerrichter likes this
- catastrophicintervals likes this
- blue-box-adventurer reblogged this from yourfaveistrans
- abooklioncalledellie reblogged this from lemonyandbeatrice
- warmyellowlight likes this
- biblaine likes this
- princess---katie likes this
- lemonyandbeatrice reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- yourfaveistrans reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- overwhelmed-but-undeterred likes this
- perfectionisodd answered:You should not self diagnose ever. If you want to see what symptomatology you can “fit” within “just to see” you’re already self diagnosing.
- fuchsiaispretty reblogged this from take-me-down-a-peg-or-two
- take-me-down-a-peg-or-two reblogged this from all-the-other-urls-are-taken
- all-the-other-urls-are-taken reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- wishfulgoddess likes this
- mh-things posted this