Since there’s so much debate around “self-diagnosing” on here…
…I’m making this one post about it and that’s it. Firstly I’d like to say that recognizing you have symptoms of mental health issues that concern you is healthy and a good thing, as many people including myself don’t realize they have a problem and try get help until they land themselves in hospital.
Admitting to yourself that you have issues with low mood, disordered eating, self-esteem, excessive fears etc and need help for such is the first step towards recovering.
However, there’s a difference between that and a person claiming they have, for example- Bipolar Disorder, Anorexia and General Anxiety Disorder- because they experience the symptoms listed above, without having seen a medical professional for these issues. Applying these labels to yourself based on research you’ve done on the internet is unhealthy, inaccurate and can quickly become an obsession and take over your thoughts, and is in no way productive to your effort to improve from these symptoms.
It’s the same thing as if someone say found a new lump on their body. This person should most definitely say to themselves “I have this lump, I need to receive medical attention for this,” but going on Google and finding out that lumps can be malignant and therefore diagnosing themselves with cancer is obviously not healthy, most likely incorrect and doesn’t help get rid of the lump. Going to a doctor, having diagnostic tests performed and receiving a professional diagnosis and treatment is what will solve the issue, and the exact same thing applies to mental health problems.
Also, any online quizzes and tests are as reliable at diagnosing mental illness as they would be at diagnosing the person’s lump as cancer. In other words, completely irrelevant.
41 Notes/ Hide
- canwenotthensaywedid reblogged this from mh-things
- lucifiric likes this
- chloeisasheerio likes this
- mieyth-wolftear reblogged this from janus-ra-and-eris
- janus-ra-and-eris reblogged this from mh-things
- obligatoryblogtitle likes this
- obligatoryblogtitle answered: THANK. YOU.
- altairattorney likes this
- theknight0fspace reblogged this from myplanetorlando and added:
- handageddon reblogged this from myplanetorlando
- handageddon likes this
- myplanetorlando reblogged this from mh-things
- myplanetorlando likes this
- nyx-010 likes this
- reclusify likes this
- collective-dreamscapes reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- well-well-well-mr-pibb reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- sprite--wings reblogged this from manupandsayit
- sprite--wings likes this
- manupandsayit reblogged this from mh-things
- manupandsayit likes this
- morbidmandy422 likes this
- fakegingerrichter likes this
- blackantiheroine likes this
- blue-box-adventurer reblogged this from annalevys
- burmeistars reblogged this from lemonyandbeatrice
- poobius-scrip likes this
- biblaine likes this
- princess-neville likes this
- lemonyandbeatrice reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- annalevys reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- frailtie likes this
- perfectionisodd answered: You should not self diagnose ever. If you want to see what symptomatology you can “fit” within “just to see” you’re already self diagnosing.
- fuchsiaispretty reblogged this from take-me-down-a-peg-or-two
- take-me-down-a-peg-or-two reblogged this from all-the-other-urls-are-taken
- all-the-other-urls-are-taken reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- wishfulgoddess likes this
- mh-things posted this