Of course I understand not everyone can see a psychiatrist. I began hallucinating and developed social anxiety and selective mutism at age 4 or 5, and PTSD and Major Depression at age 7. I wasn’t medicated until I was 14 and didn’t receive proper treatment or a diagnosis until I was 18 and was kicked out of my parent’s house, as my parents would neglect or deliberately try to stop me from receiving medical care for both physical and mental health issues.
If you’re in a situation where you can’t currently get treatment for a mental health problem, obsessing over the fact that you think you have a certain diagnosis, telling everyone you know that you believe you are bipolar/borderline/whatever, and over-analysing every possible ‘symptom’ you have is far more harmful than it is productive.
If you can’t get treatment for your supposed illness, then how does it help to have that label applied? It doesn’t, it just causes you more anxiety and could possibly lead to you being discriminated against for an illness you might not even have.
When you blame your behaviours on a mental illness of your choosing, you increase the stigma those of us really suffering experience. It’s also downright offensive to all of us fighting not to have those labels when you’re fighting so hard to have them.
I encourage anyone who believes they need attention for mental health issues to save up money, see their GP, a school or college counsellor find a low cost mental health clinic, call a helpline, etc.
Focus on the treatment not the labels.
27 Notes/ Hide
- chloeisasheerio likes this
- janus-ra-and-eris reblogged this from mh-things
- woollaston likes this
- justdrinkwine reblogged this from mh-things
- madcattheimpaler reblogged this from mh-things
- relativeitsall likes this
- macklemore-fujisaki reblogged this from sexy-terezi
- macklemore-fujisaki likes this
- skank-182 reblogged this from mogarthebear
- sparklehime likes this
- mogarthebear reblogged this from sexy-terezi
- gender-wizard likes this
- sexy-terezi reblogged this from alphajade
- wibblywobblysexywexy reblogged this from alphajade
- dearneurotypicals reblogged this from mh-things
- alphajade reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- myplanetorlando likes this
- nyx-010 likes this
- jacquemander likes this
- manupandsayit reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- d-w-a-r-i-k-a likes this
- mageofplums likes this
- londowney likes this
- lemonyandbeatrice likes this
- lord-sassdemort likes this
- annalevys reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- mh-things posted this