Of course I understand not everyone can see a psychiatrist. I began hallucinating and developed social anxiety and selective mutism at age 4 or 5, and PTSD and Major Depression at age 7. I wasn’t medicated until I was 14 and didn’t receive proper treatment or a diagnosis until I was 18 and was kicked out of my parent’s house, as my parents would neglect or deliberately try to stop me from receiving medical care for both physical and mental health issues.
If you’re in a situation where you can’t currently get treatment for a mental health problem, obsessing over the fact that you think you have a certain diagnosis, telling everyone you know that you believe you are bipolar/borderline/whatever, and over-analysing every possible ‘symptom’ you have is far more harmful than it is productive.
If you can’t get treatment for your supposed illness, then how does it help to have that label applied? It doesn’t, it just causes you more anxiety and could possibly lead to you being discriminated against for an illness you might not even have.
When you blame your behaviours on a mental illness of your choosing, you increase the stigma those of us really suffering experience. It’s also downright offensive to all of us fighting not to have those labels when you’re fighting so hard to have them.
I encourage anyone who believes they need attention for mental health issues to save up money, see their GP, a school or college counsellor find a low cost mental health clinic, call a helpline, etc.
Focus on the treatment not the labels.
27 Notes/ Hide
- janus-ra-and-eris reblogged this from mh-things
- drifting-awaay likes this
- i-cantdance reblogged this from mh-things
- madcattheimpaler reblogged this from mh-things
- relativeitsall likes this
- phantomhivespookysass reblogged this from sexy-terezi
- phantomhivespookysass likes this
- jackbarakringle reblogged this from peixes-meenah
- sparklehime likes this
- peixes-meenah reblogged this from sexy-terezi
- queer-tears likes this
- sexy-terezi reblogged this from mamitogami
- wibblywobblysexywexy reblogged this from mamitogami
- dearneurotypicals reblogged this from mh-things
- mamitogami reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- bioshockedd likes this
- nyx-010 likes this
- jacquemander likes this
- manupandsayit reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- d-w-a-r-i-k-a likes this
- haroldplumage likes this
- jinglingintensifies likes this
- lemonyandbeatrice likes this
- lord-sassdemort likes this
- yourfaveistrans reblogged this from mh-things and added:
- aintithecutest likes this
- mh-things posted this